Deadline: 15 August, 2022
The Centre for Collaborative Investigative Journalism (CCIJ) is seeking to fill the role of Africa Editor.
The CCIJ is an award-winning nonprofit that brings together investigative reporters, data scientists, and visual storytellers to carry out ongoing investigations into key global issues.
- Evaluate story submissions and work with commissioned journalists throughout the editing process
- Work closely on stories with CCIJ colleagues responsible for photographs/videos, data, and data visualisation and editing
- Help establish a network of emerging and established African journalists who can be commissioned for stories
- Provide mentorship and training workshops to build capacity amongst the CCIJ network member journalists
- Promote the work of CCIJ and commissioned journalists
- Keep a running list of possible story ideas
- Contribute to grant applications, where needed
- Experience in seeking, evaluating, and commissioning impactful investigative stories
- Ability to work with journalists to find a compelling angle to support a story, even when it appears to be lacking
- Experience in overseeing all aspects of the editorial process, from pre-meeting to editing the drafts, to working with the copy editor to fact-check stories
- Knowledge of a wide range of accessible data and visualisation tools
- Commitment to collaborate with visual storytellers, data scientists, and the CCIJ core team across time zones, languages, and cultures
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: ILRI