Deadline: 30 June, 2022
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
ImpactHouse Centre for Development Communication is seeking to fill the position of Content and Storytelling Specialist.
ImpactHouse is a tech-driven nonprofit that emphasises information and persuasion, increase in dissemination and education, behaviour change, social marketing, social mobilisation, media advocacy and community participation. We solve social problems around gender equity and justice, education and human rights, media and civil society development, and civic participation and good governance.
We privilege local contexts, culture and rely on a mix of communication tools, channels and participatory approaches for uniform comprehension and acceptance of development messages. In 2011, we launched one of our pioneering approaches to journalism and media for development (M4D), under the Development Diaries brand, thus emerging as the foremost development sector news/information service agency in Africa.
Currently, we are translating from an exclusive development sector news service to fully operate a self-styled advocacy journalism that transparently promotes factual analysis, rigorous and compelling reporting on responses to social problems.
The Content and Storytelling Specialist will work with the Chief Operating Officer (COO)/Managing Editor to achieve digital engagement goals across fundraising and communications. The primary duties of the Content and Storytelling Specialist include bringing ImpactHouse’s work to life through dynamic and compelling human stories and strong copywriting that move audiences across various social cadres to uniformly understand our messaging, then ACT as intended.
- Translate a strategy brief into powerful copy and stories that drive a desired action
- Bring fresh eyes to every project and help to shape ImpactHouse’s distinct brand voice
- Work to deepen understanding of our target audiences
- Manage content development process (stories and copy) for integrated fundraising and advocacy campaigns
- Write scripts and develop believable plots and characters
- Write both short and long-form pieces for ImpactHouse websites, email, and social media pages for the purposes of elevating our profile, raising funds, and advancing our mission
- Identify opportunities to gather content from the field in support of our editorial content strategy
- Deliver packaged content and stories for pre-determined advocacy tactics
- Carry out all additional duties of similar complexity as will be required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Theatre Arts, English, Communication and Language Arts, Journalism, or a related field
- Two years, minimum, of professional writing experience, preferably for a nonprofit
- Diversified portfolio of writing samples
- Track record of using purposeful storytelling to drive social change and organisational impact
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Experience translating technical material into compelling human stories for a general audience
- Understanding of storytelling and social good copywriting trends across varied media types
- Strategic, creative and versatile screenwriter who can create ideas and bring stories to life in scripts for character-driven, emotionally engaging content (such as skits) tailored for different target audiences and advocacy goals
- Ability to do both long- and short-form pieces for target audiences with varying levels of understanding of ImpactHouse’s aforementioned areas of focus
- Experience in interviewing, researching, and editing
- Diplomacy, strong judgment and team skills
- Strong collaborator and problem solver who can make decisions quickly on the ground and work effectively with our field teams in the pre-production phases of trip planning
- Ability to work well independently, and could be called upon to travel with minimal notice
- Open to only female candidates
Salary range is between N1.5 million–N3 million per annum.
To apply, email both your CV and cover letter as two, separate Microsoft Word documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use ‘Content and Storytelling Specialist’ as your email subject.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Photo source: UN Women