Deadline: 07 July, 2022
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Media Action is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the role of Country Director.
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity, working in Ethiopia since 2001 as a registered charity with a registration number 1118, which uses media and communications to help reduce poverty, address development goals, and support people to understand their rights.
- Provide dynamic, inspirational leadership and management to production, training, research and administrative teams
- Provide sound management and editorial leadership to the country team, ensuring all outputs adhere to the BBC editorial standards
- Manage and develop a diverse team, ensuring that staff are appropriately inducted, trained and developed, and performance is appropriately managed
- Represent and be accountable for the organisation and ensure its work in the country is relevant and appropriate
- Ensure all activities are delivered within agreed standards, timescales and budgets
- Develop and implement country strategy, including identifying future business development opportunities and writing new project proposals
- Lead the expansion of the organisation’s portfolio in the country, including identifying future business development opportunities and writing new project proposals
- Develop and manage effective relationships with funding agencies, stakeholders and partners, including development of new funding opportunities
- Report regularly to BBC headquarters on editorial, operational, legal and financial issues
- Oversee the registration of country office as a branch office or equivalent, making sure it complies with local law
- Oversee the establishment of a new office where required, including establishing systems and processes to ensure delivery and growth
- Ensure effective office management so that finance and administrative functions are carried out in line with BBC guidelines and local regulatory requirements
- Ensure the security, health and safety of staff are prioritised, that training and support are adequate and BBC security and safety procedures are adhered to
- Experience working in one or more of BBC Media Action’s key thematic areas in Ethiopia: governance (particularly social/political inclusion and accountability), health (e.g. maternal and child health, sexual and reproductive health, epidemic/pandemic response), childhood education, youth unemployment, unsafe and irregular migration, media ecosystems/media freedom, security and justice, and/or disability inclusion
- Demonstrable editorial judgment skills and understanding of BBC editorial values, or demonstrable potential to acquire strong editorial skills in order to help make sensitive editorial judgments at a senior level
- Experience working in Ethiopia specifically or Africa more generally
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: ILRI