Deadline: 31 August, 2021
The Media Innovation Centre of the Aga Khan University (AKU) has opened applications for the 2021–2022 Innovators in Residence Programme.
The 12-month incubation and accelerator programme aims to provide mentoring,
training and coaching to media innovators from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
According to the institution, the programme seeks to improve access to information, public dialogue and participation for rural communities, considering the great linguistic diversity, potentially low connectivity, limited access to professional news media and low literacy rates.
- Physical space in home country to work and connect with a regional network of gamechangers in the media space
- Expert coaching and mentoring based on the innovator’s needs as well as high-quality training by experienced professionals drawn from journalism and business
- Become a lifetime member of a young and growing community of journalism and media innovators
- Monthly stipend of $1,000 per team
- Grant funding of up to $20,000
- Open to media innovators from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania
- Journalists and innovators based in rural areas are especially encouraged to apply
- Open to innovators working in pre-formed teams or those applying as individuals but are willing to team up for this programme
- Applications must be submitted in English
- Projects that address journalism and media challenges other than storytelling are welcome
- Apps and projects that support journalists and existing media houses in their work are invited to apply
- Participants must be above the age of 18
To apply and for more information, click here.