Deadline: 15 April, 2021
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
ImpactHouse International, publishers of Development Diaries, is seeking to fill the position of Reporter (Programme Specialist).
ImpactHouse International is a development consulting firm that solves social problems by supporting and scaling the impact of what works. We develop unique partnerships with successful social movements, organisations and businesses to scale their impact through tailor-made venture building processes.
Since 2009, the firm has been on a mission to redefine social problem solving, cross-sector partnerships and media and public relations for development in Africa.
Development Diaries proudly operates a self-styled advocacy journalism, a genre of journalism that transparently promotes factual analysis, issue-based campaigns for social, civic and humanitarian purposes across the African continent.
The vision of Development Diaries is to establish a digital platform mapping Africa’s third-sector impact, aiding collaboration and disseminating news directly to a minimum of 100,000 non-state actors (and 1,000,000 by extension) by 2023, while supporting over 500 initiatives/practitioners across sub-regions to attain proficiency in development communications and media use also by 2023.
The Reporter (Programme Specialist) will be responsible for identifying new revenue, product, funding and partnership opportunities while monitoring existing revenue streams and business processes. The role will also be responsible for researching and developing factual and issue-based information for social, civic and humanitarian development across Africa.
- Analyse and monitor existing business processes and revenue streams
- Identify opportunities for revenue growth, funding, partnerships, new projects and products
- Lead the process for securing identified prospects
- Look out for unique, relevant and urgent topics to bring to the public
- Conduct research to uncover significant happenings in the civic and humanitarian development space in Africa
- Gather, corroborate and interpret data and use findings to put together a well-written, SEO-compliant piece
- Arrange and conduct interviews, when needed, to collect witness statements, get information from experts or concerned individuals or work on a lead for a proposed story
- Write new and interesting news and feature reports
- Develop powerful narratives, and review academic literature and technical reports
- Investigate interesting new angles of stories that have already been covered
- Write stories using proper grammar, ensuring they are compelling and professional in style and presentation
- Make suggestions and assist with any revisions that need to be made
- Create compelling social media posts to drive traffic to the website
- Abide by the codes and ethics of journalism
- Bachelor’s degree/Higher National Diploma (HND) or equivalent degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Journalism, Mass Communication, Communication and Language Arts, or a related field
- Two years, minimum, of active experience in online/print/TV/radio journalism
- Experience in fundraising, grant writing and business development
- Experience in designing, negotiating and leading efforts to develop new projects and products
- Experience in building effective relationships with donors and paying clientele
- Strong English writing skills, and ability to report information in a clear, concise and conversational manner
- Ability to interact professionally and build relationships and sources
- Strong research skills, including the ability to navigate search engines
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to strict deadlines
- Strong critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritise and multitask
- Proficiency in the use of social media platforms, particularly Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Demonstrable familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
- Proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office suite, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
To apply, email both your CV and cover letter as two, separate Microsoft Word documents to email@example.com. Use ‘Reporter (Programmes Specialist)’ as your email subject.
Please follow the submission guidelines so that your application qualifies for consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Photo source: Lars Kristian Flem