Deadline: 25 February, 2021
Location: Yola, Nigeria
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is seeking to fill the role of Shelter Technical Assistant.
NRC provides assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide.
- Carry out pre-evaluation of needs (targeting, needs assessment, beneficiary identification and selection) and alert the hierarchy of any population movement in the area
- Provide technical support and orientation to local technicians and community workers, and train and develop their capacity
- Implement shelter construction activities, conduct technical assessment and approval of quality of work, and ensure better management of remaining material
- Conduct community sensitisation, awareness and mobilisation to encourage beneficiary commitment to the shelter activities
- With the support of the shelter officer and shelter coordinator, provide the drafts of technical drawings, bill of quantity, site plan and technical specification notes for shelter projects
- Alert the shelter officer for any potential need of modification on construction designs or for any unpredictable soil constraints identified
- Assist the shelter officer to accurately control movement of trucks, quantities and qualities of material supplied to site
- Establish local committees for shelter project
- Maintain good working relationships with local authorities, local communities, local committees and partners, as well as all stakeholders in NRC area of intervention
- Ensure the participation of female workers in key positions in the construction/rehabilitation of shelters and community infrastructures
- Represent NRC in field coordination meeting
- University degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
- Knowledge of northeast Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local languages will be a plus
- Implementation of emergency shelter activities experience
- Experience in household sensitisation and shelter and infrastructure maintenance training
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS and Google Earth
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: NRC