Location: Abuja, Nigeria
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is seeking to fill the position of Portuguese Translator.
ECOWAS is the regional political and economic union of 15 countries in West Africa.
- Translate documents from either one or two of the other official community languages (French and English) into Portuguese
- Assist in compiling and building a body of terminologies peculiar to and useful in the work of parliament
- Assist with consecutive interpretation during staff and management meetings
- Translate a wide variety of texts documents for ECOWAS conferences and meetings, working papers, scientific articles, speeches, programme statements, web materials, reports, correspondence, etc
- Perform the terminological and conceptual research required in order to produce high-quality translations of scientific, technical, legal, and administrative texts
- Assist in providing support for terminology and style
- Respond to queries about terminology, nomenclature, translation, and writing posed by staff
- Conduct linguistic research and assist in the maintenance of glossaries
- Contribute to the establishment of accurate terminology and promote the terminology data base
- Assist in review of external translators for the ECOWAS roster
- Provide translation support in emergencies, including working under tight deadlines and quick turnaround of translated documents
- Provide feedback for machine translation dictionaries
- Participate in professional forums, conferences and seminars
- Share knowledge and practices with translators of other international organisations
- Keep abreast of specialised terminology and best translation practices
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Translation or equivalent from a recognised institute or university
- Five years, minimum, of experience in translation and revision and technical writing
- Proven knowledge with computer-assisted translation tools, machine translation tools and on-screen editing tools
- Knowledge of the structure and content of language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, grammar, and history
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: ITU Pictures