Location: Abuja, Nigeria
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is seeking to fill the position of Parliamentary Research Officer.
ECOWAS is the regional political and economic union of 15 countries in West Africa.
- Respond in a timely manner to requests for information or enquiries from committee members and other members of parliament
- Undertake research, usually from readily available sources, on clearly defined subjects
- Analyse and evaluate research and interpret data in order to identify key issues
- Prepare and present, in both written and oral forms, the results of research in a manner appropriate for answering parliamentary questions, providing briefings to committee members, or for providing content for newspaper articles and press releases
- Prepare and provide briefings for committee clerks to be tabled at meetings of the committee
- Monitor motions, petitions, legislation, and other parliamentary activity as appropriate
- Advise and guide the committees, members of parliament, the secretary-general and committee clerks on relevant policy matters
- Develop knowledge of relevant legislation and ensure knowledge is maintained and updated
- Maintain precise, detailed records of each issue and ensure the confidentiality of data at all times
- Develop knowledge in specialist areas as required by the committees
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in International Relations, Political Science, Public Administration, or a related field from a recognised university
- Two years, minimum, of professional experience in political science, political affairs, international relations, law, mediation, conflict resolution, or a related area
- Knowledge and understanding of ECOWAS agency or institutional mandate, international non-proliferation theories, concepts and developments and ECOWAS strategies, including cooperation with member states and international organisations
- Knowledge and understanding of ECOWAS agency/institution’s relations with national and regional agencies, international organisations and other international and diplomatic institutions
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: ITU Pictures