Deadline: 18 January, 2021
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
The World Bank Group (WBG) is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Senior Operations Officer.
The bank, with 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, works with public and private sector partners, invests in groundbreaking projects and uses data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
The WBG consists of five specialised institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
- Serve as one of two regional leads for Creating Markets Advisory (CMA) in southern Africa, playing a leading role across the various CMA tools and offerings
- Work closely with IFC upstream, investments and advisory staff in southern Africa as well as World Bank staff to design and ensure implementation of programmes supporting reforms prioritised in IFC’s country strategies that address bottlenecks faced by investors in IFC’s priority sectors using a variety of WBG tools and offerings
- Play a leading role in executing strategic initiatives to enhance the CMA practice in sub-Saharan Africa, innovate new projects and build new business in line with the WBG/IFC country strategy, and deliver high quality advisory engagements to the government and private sector in southern Africa
- Directly lead the CMA programme in several countries of the region, working closely with the IFC country managers for those countries
- Be a member of the CMA leadership team for sub-Saharan Africa working with the manager and other leads for southern and eastern Africa to shape the CMA programme for the region
- Report directly to the manager, creating markets advisory for southern and eastern Africa with a second line to one of the relevant country managers
- Master’s degree in Finance, Business, Economics, or a closely related field
- 12 years, minimum, of experience in private sector development, with a focus on delivering investment climate reforms in at least two regions and across a variety of markets
- Strong skills and demonstrated track record in delivering advisory engagements in the area of investment climate reform
- Understanding of IFC and WBG products/instruments and where there are opportunities for cross-organisational collaboration
- Experience working on IFC and WBG products is a plus
- Understanding of the implications of different policy and regulatory frameworks governing the thematic areas
- Ability to design, negotiate and lead efforts to develop client offerings that reflect in-depth knowledge of thematic area and understanding of business case for how thematic focus will help client to improve their business
- Ability to identify how changes in markets, business climate, regulations or emergence of new/successful innovators/disruptors may create new opportunities for IFC to accelerate its mandate in a thematic area
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint and aptitude to learn new systems
- Ability to use project management systems a plus
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills plus fluency in English
- Strong French and/or Portuguese skills preferred
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: World Bank Photo Collection