Deadline: 12 November, 2020
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
African Development Bank (AfDB) is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Principal Legal Counsel.
AfDB’s mission is to spur sustainable economic development and social progress in its regional member countries (RMCs).
- Conduct legal due diligence on proposed transactions such as the review of project documents and agreements (including development or construction contracts, supplier agreements, concession agreements, joint venture agreements, management agreements and shareholders agreements etc), constitutive documents of proposed borrowers/investee funds and review of local regulatory requirements
- Liaise and collaborate with staff in the directorate general hub, the private sector operations, finance, environmental and social complexes to develop the appropriate terms and conditions of each transaction, ensuring compliance with bank’s policies
- Participate in project appraisal missions and review project concept notes, project appraisal reports, and draft board resolutions
- Draft and/or review, negotiate and finalises all legal documentation relevant to the proposed transaction, including term sheets, loan agreements, lines of credit agreements, common terms agreements, guarantee agreements, participation agreements, inter-creditor agreements, security documentation, assignment agreements and information memoranda depending on the nature of the project and the type of financing
- Advise on transaction structure and documentation for private equity investments by the bank to ensure compliance with bank policies and practice as well as applicable laws, including drafting and/or reviewing shareholders agreements, partnership agreements, management agreements, co-investment agreements, subscription agreements
- Provide legal support for the implementation and monitoring of projects after signing and disbursement, including advising on waiver requests, approval requests and project work-outs
- Liaise with co-lenders/investors, partners and external counsel as and when needed
- Master’s degree in Law (or its equivalent) and admission to the Bar of an AfDB member country or a Juris Doctor (JD)
- Six years, minimum, of experience in similar role, preferably with a reputable international law firm, a legal department of a private or public entity, or an international financial institution with proven technical competence and experience in international finance and banking practice
- Experience in applying legal knowledge to deliver full scope of strategic legal services
- Leadership, communication, team-building, interpersonal, writing and analytical skills
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to build partnership with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs of the legal service department’s work programme
- Knowledge of the administrative setup, organisation and texts of the bank
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective relations with colleagues
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Rwanda Government