Deadline: 20 July, 2020
Jakes Gerwel fellowship is a full university scholarship that provides extensive mentoring and leadership development for top learners with a passion for teaching and education.
The fellowship identifies high potential students who, through financial support, high quality teacher education and professional induction, become expert teachers, educational leaders and social entrepreneurs who will lead system change to achieve quality education for all learners.
As expert teachers, educational leaders and social entrepreneurs, Jakes Gerwel candidates are at the forefront of solving the most pressing educational challenges, and in so doing, improve schools in South Africa.
- Candidates are placed in partner schools
- Candidates join newly qualified teacher programme and actively engage in communities of practice
- candidates achieve expert teacher status
- candidates see, act, solve educational challenges and together elevate teaching as an aspirational profession
- Nominee must demonstrate a learning obsession, passionate perseverance, entrepreneurial energy, courageous collaboration and a spirit of significance
- Belief in the classroom as a vehicle for social change
- Intention to study an undergraduate degree at UCT
- Minimum of a 65 percent average for final grade 11 results (excluding life orientation)
- Nominee must be under the age of 23
- Nominee must have South African ID number
To nominate and for more information, click here.
Photo source: UGA CAES/Extension