Deadline: 26 June, 2020
The Wole Soyinka International Cultural Exchange (WSICE) essay competition is a programme designed for the purpose of using the platforms of Literature, Arts, and Culture to affirm and uphold the dignity of man. Focusing on the youths as the future of humanity, the WSICE seeks to foster unity among mankind regardless of nationality, ethnicity, and religion.
The essay competition targets the youth, and is open in two categories: secondary/high school students aged 12–16 are to write between 350–400 words, while college, university and tertiary level students aged 17–22 are to write between 800–1000 words.
Three winners from each category will be announced on 14 July during a scheduled Meet and Greet session in the virtual/digital space.
- Junior (Ages 12–16)
- Winner: $300
- Runner-Up: $200
- Senior (Ages 17–22)
- Winner: $500
- Runner-Up: $300
- Originality and creativity: treatment of the theme showing imagination, human interest, and a fresh point of view (ability to think outside the box in an unusual way)
- Content and structure: clearly expressed ideas in an organised manner. Fully developed theme and smooth transitions from one idea to another
- Adherence to the topic
- Logical flow, using proper grammar and spelling
- Wow factor: exceptional essays that display an incredible use of vocabulary, clever ideas, and unique style
- Length: participants must conform to the word limit specified for each category
- No use of foul or derogatory words or insinuation
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Chidi Anthony Opara