The African Centre for Media Excellence (ACME) is pleased to announce the call for entries and nominations for the Uganda National Journalism Awards (UNJA) 2020.
The UNJA was launched seven years ago. It is aimed at improving the quality of journalism in Uganda by inspiring and recognising excellence in reporting that informs and empowers the public, increases the voices and spaces for information, and holds the powerful to account.
‘This remains the most prestigious journalism awards scheme in the country’, said ACME Executive Director, Peter G Mwesige. ‘Winners are selected through a transparent and credible process at the centre of which is an independent panel of judges selected from current or former leaders in the fields of journalism, media and communication’.
The awards aim to increase the quantity and quality of public affairs reporting and investigative journalism, promote accurate, knowledgeable and enterprising investigative reporting in all media, and advance innovation in storytelling and news presentation. They also seek to motivate aspiring and young journalists to attain and uphold standards of excellence in their profession and increase the diversity of voices in media coverage and spaces within which journalists operate.
- Both the winner and first runner-up in each category will receive a substantial cash prize
- Plaques and certificates will also be given
- A separate prize for exceptional journalism will be awarded to a participant in UNJA who exhibits extensive knowledge of his or her reporting beat, provides evidence of growth over the period of assessment, consistently produces quality work, and is highly regarded by others in the profession
- Winners will be celebrated at a grand gala to be held in Kampala in June, 2020
- Winning entries will be published online and in a booklet to be distributed by ACME
- There is no entry fee
- The awards are open to all professional journalists, freelance or full-time, working in print, television, radio and online news platforms in Uganda for stories published or broadcast between 1 January and 31 December, 2019
- Work submitted must be published or broadcast in a Ugandan media outlet or a regional news outlet with wide distribution in Uganda
- Web-based news organisations that follow a strict code of journalistic ethics and publish original reporting on a regular basis may also submit entries
To enter and for more information, click here.
Photo source: ACME