Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Overall, the Individual Contractor (IC) will support and contribute to the success of the Global Compact Africa Strategy (GCAS), including implementing a project work plan designed to support further the work and engagement in the UN Global Compact (GC) Africa region among Local Networks (LN) and business participants. The position is based in Pretoria, South Africa.
The Global Compact Office (GCO) is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative that seeks to advance universal principles on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption through the active engagement of the private sector and civil society.
The Consultant/IC, Africa Strategy, reports to the Programme Officer (PO), LN, Africa, who is based in Pretoria.
- Support the management and implementation of the Africa Strategy designed to strengthen and build capacity of Global LN and engage business participants and other stakeholders across the GC Africa region
- Organise online peer learning groups to build business capacity on the implementation of the ten principles of the UN GC
- Support GC LN in the planning of workshops, webinars, conferences and other activities to enhance the capacity of businesses to contribute to SDG innovation and implementation, gender equality and corporate sustainability
- Prepare various written outputs, eg agenda for events, briefing notes, PowerPoint presentations, outcome reports, workshop materials, press releases, etc, and make presentations, for example, at the meetings of GC LN
- Support GC LN with respect to meeting quality standards and LN governance measures
- Support the collaboration between the UN GC and GC LN in the organisation of global or regional events and providing support for national and local events by LN
- Support data collection of case studies and examples of GC activities and outcomes across the Africa region
- Support activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc) and regular project monitoring and evaluation to ensure ongoing tracking and consolidation of activities and expenses per the established work plan and budget
- Work closely with various teams within the GC office to ensure timely implementation of the Africa Strategy, including Outreach and Engagement, Programmes, Intergovernmental Relations, Communications and Accounts and Finance to deliver project outcomes and meet KPIs
- Bachelor’s degree (or international equivalent), preferably in International Relations, Business Administration, Project Management, Law, Public Policy Affairs or related field
- Three years, minimum, of relevant work experience related to project management, stakeholder engagement or training/workshop facilitation and capacity-building is required
- Previous work experience on corporate sustainability in Africa with diverse stakeholders and policy engagement is considered an advantage
- Fluency in both English and French is required
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Maina Kiai