Deadline: 15 July, 2020
In recognition of the role of science, technology and innovation as essential tools for Africa’s socio-economic transformation, and the needed institutional arrangements for the implementation of Africa Science, Technology and Innovation Agenda, the Executive Council of the African Union (AU) member states adopted Decision Ex.CL/Dec.747 (XXII) and Decision Ex.CL/Dec.216 (VII) on the establishment of the African Scientific, Research and Innovation Council (ASRIC). The ASRIC was launched officially in November 2018.
The ASRIC is mandated to implement Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA-2024) and to promote scientific research and innovation in order to address the challenges of Africa’s socio-economic development. It also mobilises African research excellence, provides a platform for dialogue among African scientists and serves as a voice of the scientific community in building and sustaining continental research and innovation nexus, including building requisite technical capabilities.
The Euro-Mediterranean University of Fes (UEMF), Morocco, was created in November 2012, with the aim to promote the values of leadership, entrepreneurship, innovation and solidarity. UEMF is a growing centre of excellence in higher education and research with more than 1,500 students, 24 percent of whom are scholarship recipients.
Considering the comparative advantage and the common mandate of ASRIC and UEMF, ‘building Africa’s technical competencies’, the two institutions have decided to engage in a long-term scientific collaboration and a scholarship for African PhD students to undertake studies and research work at UEMF.
Ten scholarship slots are available for the academic year 2020–2021 for African PhD students to carry out their doctoral research work at UEMF. The duration of both the study and the scholarship is three years.
- Tuition fees coverage of about $9,000
- Accommodation coverage
- One annual return ticket from the scholar’s home country with a maximum contribution of $1,000 during summer vacation
- Stipend allowance of $1,000 monthly for 11 months every year
- Applicants must be nationals of one of the AU member states
- Must be less than 35 years of age at the end date of this call
- Must have a master’s degree in Science or Engineering, Engineering diploma or any other equivalent diploma
- Must demonstrate remarkable ability and devotion along with experiences in conducting research in the selected field of study
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Exchanges Photos