Deadline: 16 April, 2020
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is seeking to fill the position of Associate Information Management Officer. The UNHCR Data Transformation Strategy 2020–2025 envisions that by 2025 UNHCR would have become a trusted leader in data and information related to refugees and other persons of concern, thereby enabling actions to protect and to empower persons of concern.
The strategy stipulates investing in four complementary priority areas: data management and governance; information systems; capacities and skill development; and culture for evidence-informed decision-making. The strategy envisages data and information management functions in UNHCR carried out in a complementary and inter-linked manner between headquarters divisions and services, regional bureaus, country operations and key external partners, including persons of concern.
- Under the direct supervision of the (Senior) DIMA Coordinator/Deputy Director/Head of Service/Deputy Representative or other IM staff or designated manager, the Associate Information Management Officer supports data and information management activities
- Support coordination among staff working on information and data management activities and liaison with Headquarters/Region/Country on data related issues
- Coordinate, plan and deliver on data and information activities for all UNHCR operational contexts, responses and populations of concern, including providing coordination and leadership in partnerships on data with all stakeholders including persons of concern
- Serve the entirety of UNHCR staff and activities, including protection, programme, operations, external relations and executive management for evidence-informed planning, advocacy, and coordination
- Ensure multi-stakeholder, multi-sector, and multi-country activities are provided with robust and meaningful data and information to support planning, funding and advocacy efforts
- Assess, design, implement and evaluate data and statistical related activities (the focus is largely operational data along with financial and HR data related to assessment, planning, monitoring and evaluation)
- Provide the necessary quality assurance and technical support for the full range of the data and information management and analysis activities
- Undertake regional or country data and information management (definition, collection, analysis, storage and dissemination) activities.
- Liaise with relevant bodies on relevant data and statistical matters
- Monitor the quality of data and information management activities in country/regional or HQ
- Three years relevant experience with undergraduate degree or two years relevant experience with postgraduate degree or one year relevant experience with doctorate in Social Science, Statistics, Information Management, Physical Science, Economics, Data Science, Geography, GIS, Engineering, Demography, Computer Science or other relevant field
- Experience with data sharing, data management and data analysis to support policy formulation and implementation (essential)
- Knowledge of national and international statistical systems (desirable)
- Knowledge of international protection, human rights and international humanitarian law (desirable)
- Experience in data collection and analysis in field situations (desirable)
- Knowledge of GIS and geospatial systems and techniques (desirable)
- Knowledge of English (essential)
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Thomas Williams/Crossroads Foundation