Deadline: 13 May, 2020
Location: Entebbe, Uganda
The United Nations Department of Peace Operations (UN DPO) is seeking to fill the position of a Programme Management Officer. The position is located in the Mobile Capacity Building Team of the Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Threat Mitigation Advisory Team (TMAT). Within the Department of Peace Operations (DPO), the TMAT is in the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI).
- Develop, implement and evaluate various training projects, as trainer, in the Mobile Capacity Building Team of the IED Threat Mitigation Advisory Team (TMAT), i.e. Convention Munition Disposal (CMD), Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (IEDD) and IED awareness training and capacity building projects
- Monitor and analyse programme/project implementation at all stages
- Review progress reports, project status reports, and briefing notes
- Identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiate corrective actions
- Liaise with relevant parties and ensure follow-up actions
- Perform consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning and facilitating workshops and other interactive sessions
- Assist in developing the action plan the client will use to manage change across functional areas of IED Threat Mitigation, Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) and Weapons and Ammunition Management (WAM)
- Research, analyse and present information gathered from diverse sources
- Coordinate UNMAS training course development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other training activities and studies
- Generate survey initiatives; design data collection tools; review, analyse and interpret responses; identify problems/issues and prepare conclusions related to EOD and IED Threat Mitigation support for troop contributing countries and peacekeeping missions
- Organise and prepare written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provide substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations and harmonised EOD and IEDD training across the UN and with member states, based on a profound needs assessment etc.
- Initiate and coordinate outreach activities; conduct training workshops, seminars, etc. including through partnerships with other stakeholders to support the objectives of training standardisation across different organisations
- Make presentations on assigned topics/activities
- Lead and/or participate in large, complex field missions, including technical and training support across all UN P/TCCs, UNMAS field programmes and regional training centres in Africa, Europe and Asia
- Provide guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties, and draft mission summaries etc.
- Coordinate activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) for TMAT and prepare related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.)
- Perform other duties as required
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Management, International Relations, International Security Studies or a related field (a first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree)
- Graduation from a military staff academy or similar law enforcement training institution is required
- Seven years of progressively responsible experience, minimum, in project or programme management in the field of EOD, ammunition management and explosive hazard management, including five years of experience in working with IED-related issues, policies and operations, with proven C-IED experience in a mission environment (essential)
- Recognised national qualification as EOD officer (essential)
- Experience writing policy papers or producing guidelines, standards and/or training materials related to IED threat mitigation (desirable)
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Pixabay