Locations: Nairobi, Kenya; Lagos, Nigeria; Johannesburg, South Africa
Google is seeking to fill the position of a Government Affairs and Public Policy Manager. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team at Google leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders.
- Engage directly with policymakers, industry players and key opinion formers to shape policy and political dialogue on thoughtful, responsible technology policy and the beneficial impact it can contribute to society and economy
- Develop and execute advocacy/policy campaigns in relevant policy areas that impact Google and the web
- Engage with regional bodies (AU, ECOWAS, EAC and SADC) trade associations, industry partners, non-governmental organisations and others to support policies that will help keep the web open
- Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues considering how Google should work with allied organisations and industries
- Develop and lead public policy campaigns across the full range of policy areas that impact Google and the web (key issues include technology innovation, content regulation, privacy, safety, data protection)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience (experience working with or in government, politics or a regulatory agency)
- Experience engaging directly with politicians, decision makers, academia, think tanks, business associations and non-governmental organisations
- Deep understanding of the Pan-African regional blocks e.g. AU, ECOWAS
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, as well as the ability to write well and translate complex issues into simple language that everyone can understand
- A strong collaborator with novel ideas, enthusiasm, determination and a passion for the Internet
- Ability to identify opportunities and areas for improvement, and to operate in a fast-paced environment
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Ryan Quick