Deadline: 19 April, 2020
Location: Home based
The African Natural Resources Centre (ANRC) is seeking to fill the position of Consultant Economist (Natural Resources). The ANRC is a non-lending entity of the African Development Bank (AfDB). The AfDB established the ANRC to support Regional Member Countries (RMCs) to maximise development outcomes from their natural resources.
The ANRC generates high quality knowledge and conducts impactful policy dialogue on harnessing natural resources for accelerated sustainable development in Africa. It also provides technical support to RMCs on natural resources planning, investment and governance, with a focus on land, forestry, fisheries, water, oil, gas and minerals. The ANRC also informs the Bank’s operational work in the natural resources sector.
- Provide critical and intellectual inputs into the ANRC’s strategic work programme and flagship
projects under the supervision of the ANRC’s Director
- Conduct research and generate knowledge products in harnessing natural resources for economic diversification in Africa, natural capital and sustainable development in Africa, blue economy and sustainable development in Africa, global low-carbon transition and the risks and opportunities this poses to the natural resources sector in Africa, the extractive industry and structural transformation in Africa etc.
- Convene and facilitate evidence informed policy dialogue on natural resources and sustainable
development in Africa
- Provide technical and analytical support to country and regional projects on natural resources
governance and management
- Peer review of knowledge, project, programme and policy documents
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Director
- A master’s degree in Economics or related discipline (a PhD is desirable)
- Ten years of experience, minimum, in natural resources economic research or related areas
- A strong publication record in international peer reviewed journals
- A track record as a policy convenor or facilitator and a strong background in evidence-informed
policy dialogue and/or advocacy
- Strong knowledge and experience in the use of statistical and econometric methods and packages
in Development Economics research
- Theoretical knowledge to develop and implement research programmes and ability to design and manage research projects from conceptualisation to publication
- Established reputation in leading economic research networks and ability to broker knowledge
through partnerships and collaboration
- Proficiency in English and/or French
- Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda
- Experience in communicating research results to policy makers
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Rwanda Government