Deadline: 18 April, 2020
The One Young World Politician of the Year Award was created to recognise the most promising young politicians between the ages of 18–35 from around the world.
According to the Inter-Parliamentary Union, only two percent of parliamentarians globally are under the age of 30 and just 14 percent are under 40. The issue is exacerbated by policies in 73 percent of countries which restrict young people of voting age from running for office. Lack of representation raises the substantial risk of disconnecting an entire generation from their nations’ political processes.
The five 2020 winners of the One Young World Politician of the Year Award will be chosen based on the impact they are having in their home countries and how they have used their position to benefit young people specifically.
In addition to receiving the award, winners will have:
- Access to the entirety of the One Young World Summit 2020 in Munich, Germany
- Hotel accommodation on a private basis between 13 and 17 (inclusive) October, 2020
- The cost of travel to and from Munich (flights in economy)
- Catering, which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Transport between the summit accommodation and the summit venue
To be considered for the award, nominees must:
- Be aged between 18 and 35 years old
- Hold/have held elected or appointed office at any political level (local, national or supranational)
- Have had a tangible and material impact on young people in their communities
- Have acted to highlight the importance of political participation as a way to effect positive change
To nominate and for more information, click here.
Photo source: One Young World