Deadline: 31 March, 2020
The Africa Transformative Mobility Accelerator will admit eight startups for the 2020 cohort. The priority countries will be Kenya and Uganda. Through a competitive process, the programme aims to admit transformative, practical, well-researched and possibly tested solutions to urban mobility challenges in African cities.
The population increase in African cities has resulted in a diversification of and an upsurge in transport needs. Both public transport and private car use have drastically risen, resulting in road congestion and air pollution. This, nonetheless, provides a huge opportunity to provide transformative urban mobility solutions that can offer more travel options; reduce travel time, cost and risk; provide comfort for users.
During the six-month acceleration period, startups will benefit in several ways, including but not limited to:
- Four startup immersion trips in East Africa (Kenya and Uganda for the 2020 cohort)
- Coaching and mentorship from local and international mobility and enterprise development experts
- Networking with mobility stakeholders, practitioners and enthusiasts in four separate sessions that will be organised in Nairobi and Kampala between May and September 2020
- Series of planned seminars that will be facilitated by subject matter experts in relevant topics such as mobility; value proposition design and problem solution fit; business modeling and product/service market fit; customer acquisition; financial modeling and investor relations
- Pitching opportunities with select and curated pool of investors during the Africa Transformative Mobility Summit in October 2020 in Nairobi, Kenya
- Grants of up to $25,000 for the top startups
- Open to startups addressing access to sustainable mobility in the informal transport sector and working towards transformative solutions to an urban mobility challenge
- Open to startups operating in Kenya and/or Uganda
- Open to startups that have a demonstrable product or service (Minimum Viable Product, MVP)
- Open to startups with an innovative and scalable solution to a well-articulated challenge
- Open to startups that are not older than three years since their incorporation date
- Open to startups that demonstrate an ability to generate revenue
- Open to startups that have at least two members on the team
- Open to startups that have at least one member working full time (or have a clear pathway to this goal)
- Open to startups that are for profit
- Open to startups in early stage/seed, pre-series A
To apply and for more information, click here.
Photo source: Wikimedia